In his wicked plan, Lucifer strove arrogantly and offended against God the Creator and his plan was agreeable to some of the angels.
1. Left of Lucifer's head: Lucifer conceives his plan against the Creator.
2. Right of Lucifer's head: A peverseness of an evil conspiracy was obtained among some of the angels.
3. Unscrolled text across Lucifer: I will surely ascend to heaven, above the stars of heaven I will raise my throne, I will sit on the mountain of the testament in the sides of the north, I will surely ascend above the highest clouds, I will be like to the Most High. (Isa. 14:13-14).
4. Left of Lucifer's legs: "I will ascend to heaven," he names as "heaven" the Highness of God, hich he wished to acquire, "I will ascend to heaven," that is, to equality with God.
Panel 2: Fall of the Rebel Angels
Michael and his angels contend with the dragon, and the dragon and his angels are conquered in the battle, and having been conquered are cast down from heaven (Apoc. 12:7)
1. Far left: Just as Lucifer glittered among the stars, so also the first angel flashed among the companies of angels, then, as this one wished to be equal to God, fell from the high glory, and all who conspired in his exaltation were cast down from the heavenly realm, some to the infernal regions, others to that dark circle of the atmosphere, which was to be a prison from them until the time of judgment.
2. Far right: The Lord said in the gospel: I have seen Satan falling from heaven like lightning (Luke 10:18). A third part of the angels are held to have fallen.
3. Beneath caption 2: This means: One should ask whether all. . .(referring to Peter Lombard, Sentences II.6.5, which is excerpted in the Hortus Deliciarum as item no. 366).
4. To the left of Lucifer: Letifer or Satanas or Diabolus falls with his conspirators, namely the devils, like lightning from heaven. Once he was similar to the Most High, now he is not even equal to the lowest, that is, to human beings.