The Evil under the Sun.
- HOW long, oh Lord?--The voice is sounding still,
- Not only heard beneath the altar stone,
Not heard of John Evangelist alone
- In Patmos. It doth cry aloud and will
Between the earth's end and earth's end, until
- The day of the great reckoning, bone for bone,
And blood for righteous blood, and groan for groan:
- Then shall it cease on the air with a sudden thrill;
Not slowly growing fainter if the rod
- Strikes one or two amid the evil throng,
Or one oppressor's hand is stayed and numbs,--
Not till the vengeance that is coming comes:
- For shall all hear the voice excepting God?
- Or God not listen, hearing?--Lord, how long?
Last modified: 26 March 1996