- Mary rose up, as one in sleep might rise,
- And went to meet her brother's Friend: and they
Who tarried with her said: "she goes to pray
- And weep where her dead brother's body lies."
So, with their wringing of hands and with sighs,
- They stood before Him in the public way.
"Had'st Thou been with him, Lord, upon that day,
- He had not died," she said, drooping her eyes.
Mary and Martha with bowed faces kept
- Holding His garments, one on each side.--"Where
- Have ye laid him?" He asked. "Lord, come and see."
The sound of grieving voices heavily
- And universally was round Him there,
- A sound that smote His spirit. Jesus wept.
Last modified: 26 March 1996