Pavilion II - Description

Jefferson's drawing for Pavilion II, N-321, identifies it as "Pavilion No. II Eastern Range. Ionic of Fortuna Virilis." The source for this order was Leoni's The Architecture of A. Palladio; in Four Books. The distinguishing features of this order is the diagonal position of the volutes of the capital at the ends of the portico. The Temple of Fortuna Virilis has a frieze of ox sculls, putti, ribbons, and garlands festooned with fruit motifs, all of which appear on the completed building. Other elements as displayed in Palladio such as the fluting of the columns are absent, presumadely because of cost.

Jefferson's plan for Pavilion II is unique among the pavilions, it is the only one that opens into a small vestibule, which provided access to the large lecture room that ran the full depth of the south side. The size of the lecture room--approximately 20 by 40 feet was among the largest in the Academical Village. The plan for Pavilion II is virtually identical to what has been identified as a preliminary study for PavilionVIII (N-319), though there is still some doubt about this identification.

Jefferson prepared the drawings for all the East Lawn pavilions between June 5 and June 27, 1819. Pavilion II was completed in 1823 and the builder was Richard Ware of Philadelphia. Also assisting on Pavilion II were William B. Phillips who provided some bricks and Samuel Campbell for dry wall. The Ionic capitals came from Carrara, Italy. William Coffee, the English-born sculptor, produced the architectural ornaments of lead. In October 1822 the Board of Visitors heard a report that construction was complete on all pavilions and dormitories. However, Pavilion II required more work, and by December 31, 1823 the cost for Pavilion II had risen to $10,000.53. In 1824 imporvements where made and also in 1825 adding approximately $900 to the total cost. Changes and additions began almost immediately, with a partion in 1829, a rear wing possibly as early as 1832, and again a large addition in 1920. In 1952-53 Pavilion II underwent restoration under the direction of Frederick D. Nichols. A more complete accounting of the construction can be found in the Historic Structures Report, Pavilion II.

It stood empty until at least 1827 and more likely 1829 when Dr. Thomas Johnson a "Demonstrator of Anatomy and Surgery" became the first resident. However, anatomical demonstrations may have occured here prior to the completion of the Anatomical Theatre in 1826. Following Johnson the residents of Pavilion II were: Dr. Augustus Warner, Medicine, 1834-37, Dr. James L. Cabell, Medicine, 1837-1889, Dr. William M. Dabney, 1889-1895, Dr. Augustus Buckmaster, 1895-96, James Harrison, Modern Languages, 1896-1909, C. Alphonso Smith, English, 1909-1917, William H. Heck, Education, 1917-19, Ivey F. Lewis, Biology, 1919-1953, Lewis F. Hammond, Philosophy and Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, 1954-1976 (Joseph L. Vaughan, Engineering rented it from Hammond during 1960-62), Edwin H. Floyd, Mathmatics, Dean of Faculty and Provost, 1976-1992, and Jeanette Lancaster, Nursing (Dean), 1992-present.

Back to JAEAC Home Page Back to IATH WWW Server
Copyright 1996 by , all rights reserved Document URL: